Monday, March 30, 2009

Please include my nephew Leland in your prayers.

My 16 month old nephew, Leland was diagnosed with diabetes on Saturday. He was admitted to ICU after going to the ER. My nephew,Leland it is out of IC. He had been sick and not eating for the last few days

My sil said now that she knows the signs...he definitely was exhibiting them. If you have any kids in your life please keep an eye out. The most obvious signs I think for an infant.are: excessive urination....peeing through a diaper in less than half an hour. Increased thirst and loss of appetite...and being dehydrated besides all of that. Sudden loss of weight. He last 4 pounds. Flu like symptoms--irritability, throughing up, etc. Which of course is the hard part. If you think they have the flu...then you wouldn't suspect the diabetes.

I found out from my mommy's group that the doctor's don't do blood tests to check for this when kids come in. It would be a simple blood draw....so I am not sure why they don't. They only do it if there are symptoms or if it runs in the family.

So please keep Leland and his family in your prayers. Their names are Dave, Carrie & Caleb.

Thank you.

1 comment:

Lisa L. said...

Prayers are going up now. Please keep us posted.

divider

divider