Saturday, May 24, 2008

Does the Early Bird Get the Worm?

Yes, I believe it is true. Sheldon and I have been working hard on getting up early to go and work out. On Wednesday we woke up at 6:00 AM and Friday I was up by 5:40 AM. So, today we decided that we were going to try out a local grocery store that was supposed to have fantastic biscuit sandwiches and go to the Botanical Gardens.

The kitties had us up by 7:00 AM--so we were out the door by 7:30 AM. We found out that the grocery store no longer serves breakfast so we went to McDonald's and arrived at the Botanical Gardens at 8:00 AM.

We decided to take the easy 1 mile route down by the river and back up on the other side. Our goal is to build up to the 2.9 mile trail....however, that might be after the baby is born.

We were passed by a couple of joggers....and Sheldon was letting me walk in front of him. When I turned my head and right in eye level of me. I gave a little scream and jump and Sheldon walked over and saw him. Luckily we brought our camera, however, as Sheldon was getting it ready the owl flew away. We were so bummed...however, he just flew over into another tree so he could keep an eye on us.
We think he is a Barrel Owl. To show the owl all the way....I had to use the shadow/hilight feature on Photoshop so it takes away the contrast.

We stayed and watched him for awhile and another jogger came by and we had him look at the owl.

After that...I was on the lookout for other animals. Sheldon came across a frog. Then I came across a lizard.
So all in all...I would say that we had our worms this morning. What a fun way to start the day. Of course untill I got lost on the way back to the car and ended up walking a lot further because I had to do a turnaround.

We are thinking of making this a weekly Saturday excursion.

Thanks for listening.

1 comment:

Lee (LuvLee on SCS) said...

Oh Jennie......what an absolutely lovely way to start your day!!! The owl is just beautiful!!!

divider

divider