Monday, July 7, 2008

New Living Room

Hi...

I am sure some people are sick of me talking about this now. :) But I am so excited. It has been such a long time since I have had ny new furniture. My other sofa was hurting my behind so bad. And being pregnant definitely doesn't help.

Originally, we went to Ashley furniture to buy a set we saw a few months ago. The salesperson said to come back for the 4th of July sale. Well, we had two problems when we came back.....first the furniture wasn't in the store. And I wanted to try it out again before buying to make sure it was comfortable. The second, the cost went up $50.00 from last time (it wasn't on sale) and the delivery cost went up an additional $25.00.

So we told them we would think it over and come back.....so since I was bummed I decided to go to Big Lots to see if there was any crafting supplies. While there we walked around looking at the furniture....and in the back....they had a very similar sofa to the one I had originally looked at at Ashley....even made by Ashley. However, it was a better fabric and color and the shape was a bit different...not as boxy. The best part it was cheaper. I believe it was originally almost $200 less, then because it was the floor model and had a few minor dings and stains we received an additional 20% off and their $100 sales incentive.

Not only was the couch there but the storage ottoman too.....and it was 1/2 price of what we saw at Ashley...plus we also receive a 20% discount because of some dings. Now, I am not sure about anyone else....however, I know that my having these pieces in my house for a week I will probably spill or scratch something up.....so getting a great sales price....that doesn't bother me. :)

So we had it delivered and the delivery company we used was great. We were going to have it delivered on Wednesday as we needed to find a way to remove old furniture. So I told Sheldon that I would put it up on Craigslist and say it had to be gone by Sunday....that way he had today to find someone to help him remove it if there were no takers. (You can see why I thought there would be no takers.)


We definitely didn't think there would be. However, we received several calls. And it was picked up yesterday. So I called the delivery company today and they delivered it right at 5:00.

So, I definitely have to say.....look at alternatives to the expensive furniture companies. I never though I would buy a Sofa at Big Lots....but wow we saved a lot of money and received better service overall than at Ashley.

TFL

Jennie

PS...any decorating tips would be great. I want to accent with yellow as it is in our painting...however, Sheldon wants to do red. Plus you can see that the kitties love it.

5 comments:

GiftsByHeidi said...

Wow! It looks great! It looks comfy too!

Bee said...

So very typical of cats to appropriate themselves the new furniture right away! LOL! :-D
I love your new furniture and this blue on the walls is pretty awesome!
As for decoration, I don't think I would go with yellow since the couch is already yellow tones, red would be a nice pop if it stays in little touches and I would use the dark brown from the ottoman to pull it all together. :-)

Lee (LuvLee on SCS) said...

Congrats on the new furniture!! We went a looooong time without too and I know how fun it is!!!! The couch is gorgeous and hoooray for getting an awesome deal!!! I think you should look at some cards in the gallery and see how beautifully you can blend reds and yellows! Seriously.....I know it sounds funny, but seeing the galleries can definitely give you some awesome ideas!!! LOL

Carolyn King said...

oh jennie---I LOVE your new couch---beautiful and what a deal!
Congrats to you---the room looks great.

Hope you are taking care of yourself!

Sara Peatross said...

Your new living room is beautiful!

Sara

divider

divider